Thursday, May 12, 2005

A Statue On Every Corner

I'm thinking Mayor Jennings just might be getting a little worried about the election. Perhaps those phone poll results were a bit disconcerting. I don't live in Arbor Hill so I can't say if this is really what the community wants in the way of neighborhood investment, but personally I think I would choose to spend the $565,000 in some other way. But that is why I'm not Mayor.

"This is not about politics. This is about paying attention to our community," said Jennings, who with Gov. George Pataki, announced $565,000 in grants that will change a polluted 1.5-acre former garage site at the corner of Henry Johnson Boulevard and Colonie Street into a park honoring World War I soldier Henry Johnson.

Who said anything about politics, Mayor? I thought we were all just here dedicating a new park and statue?

The really good news in this article was that two people just became homeowners in Arbor Hill.

"Brenda Parson, a 44-year-old mother of four and first-time homeowner, moved into her new two-story house eight days ago from the Hope VI apartments in North Albany.
"I had been approved to buy other homes in Colonie, but I wanted be in my own community," said Parson, a State Museum worker. "I felt like this is where I am supposed to be."

That is what is going to make a difference in Arbor Hill. And the Mayor was wisely there. Two trips to Arbor Hill in one day. Hmmm....