Monday, March 07, 2005

Police Chief Turley - "I Lied"

Seems like you can't open up the paper these days without a story of illegal subpoenas and civil liberty violations. Throw in a cover up by the police chief and his admission to lying about the whole thing and it makes me want to turn off my computer, pull down the window blinds and get out the old pen and ink. Let's just look at this in a general sense.

Someone e-mails the media and lets them know that the Police Chief has reduced a well deserved suspension for a cop. The police chief finds out and an "investigation" begins into who sent the e-mail. So far no crimes have been committed. Then the police somehow ID the author of the e-mail. That is illegal. Then the Chief lies about this when questioned. Does that make you feel safe? Apparently there are people in the police department that feel they are above the law and the chief is willing to lie to cover it up. This comes on the heels of a report of some very questionable accounting practices in the department. Anyone think it might be time for some more change in the way things are done? I understand if you don't want to be vocal about your desire for change. Feel free to voice your support anonymously. It will be interesting to see what Mayor Jennings has to say about this quote from Police Chief Turley:

"I lied. I apologize. ... If it costs me my job, so be it

So what does the President of the Police Union have to say about all this?

"To the best of my knowledge, nothing was done illegally"

Apparently he doesn't have the "best knowledge" because this wouldn't be possible to do without breaking the law.

How about that DA we recently elected?

"We're going to be implementing some controls here so that you can't go to your ADA for that[subpoenas] " he said. "Ultimately, they will come to my desk. Decisions will be made here."

There you have it. Accountability. It's new and different, but I like it. If you want to see some of it in your police department you might want to start with a new Mayor.