Thursday, March 24, 2005

Gangs? In Albany?

Now we know Mayor Jennings says we don't have gangs in Albany. In his own words "this is just kids misbehaving". But the good news is that District Attorney David Soares does think there is a gang problem in Albany. And when it comes right down to it, if I had to pick I think I'd prefer my D.A. was actually addressing the crime issues instead of my Mayor. In an ideal world we'd have both working together in reality. We're not quite there yet. But now we've got Cheryl Fowler on the job. She was recently promoted to lead the Street Crimes unit (yes, Mayor, we do have street crimes in Albany).

"Cheryl Fowler is the kind of tough, smart prosecutor that I want to pull together the prosecution of guns, gangs and drugs," Soares said. "The size of this bureau reflects my choice to concentrate our resources on developing and implementing a comprehensive attack on street crime."

Go get 'em Cheryl.