Monday, March 28, 2005

99.7% of you just don't matter. Sorry.

Let’s take a look at the “I’m pretty sure I know how this one is going to turn out without reading it” report on government integrity in New York. This was a while back (1991) so I guess you can forgive them for wasting their time. But they did provide us with some fun facts.

"Less than three-tenths of 1 percent of voters in New York make political contributions. The vast majority of contributions come from a small core group of contributors, many with special interests to promote”

"These contributors give most freely to those already in office, those in powerful positions, and those seen as likely winners, in order to ensure access and influence and to protect against the specter of adverse action”

The quotes are from this article. More on that later.

I gave some money in the last round of elections. I think I better start thinking of some “special interests to promote”. I guess a fair representative democracy with a special focus on providing a good education for everyone isn’t special enough as far as interests go? I want to “protect against the specter of adverse action” Hell, I want to protect against specters in general (Arlen specifically, specters generally).